Week 1 - Introduction

Hello everyone! My name is Elizabeth Blessum, but most people call me Liz for short.  I would like to share a little bit about myself before I start with my blogs for class.

Small town North Dakota is where I call home.  I was born and raised on a family farm outside of Rugby, ND.  I am the oldest of four children to Jim & Kris Blessum.  I have a younger brother who is a freshman here at NDSU.  My two younger sisters are still in high school back at Rugby.  We grow a variety of crops on our farm from small grains to beans and corn.  In addition to crops we also have roughly 350 head of beef cattle.

In high school I was very involved in extracurriculars.  I stayed active by playing volleyball, basketball, and golf.  I was a member of Student Council, 4-H, FFA, FBLA, Sources of Strength, and National Honor Society.  Currently, I am a member of Saddle & Sirloin, Ag Ambassadors, and Agronomy Club.  I enjoy staying busy and participating in activities.

One of my favorite hobbies is hunting.  I enjoy hunting all species, but big game hunting is my favorite. This past fall I was able to go on a number of hunting trips with my family.  In mid-September my dad took my brother and me to western Montana on an elk hunt.  We did not fill our tags, but had a great time exploring the mountains.  This November I went mule deer hunting with my dad in the Badlands of western North Dakota.  I was able to shoot my first mule deer after several days of hunting.  Over winter break my brother and I also spent a lot of time in our deer stand bow hunting for whitetails.  It was a very successful hunting season!

I am currently a junior at NDSU.  I started off college studying Agriculture Education, but decided to switch my major to Crop & Weed Sciences this past summer.  I have had the opportunity to complete two summer internships through our local John Deere dealership, Gooseneck Implement.  My first year I worked in the Precision Agriculture department and this past summer I was a Sales & Marketing Intern. I learned a lot through my internships and I was able to see agriculture from a dealership's standpoint.

This upcoming summer I have an internship lined up through BASF.  I look forward to another opportunity to get hands-on experience in the field and apply my knowledge to real world situations. In the future I plan to secure a job in the Midwest working for a seed or chemical company.  I have always had a passion for agriculture and I look forward to what the future holds.

I am excited for my Business and Professional Writing class.  To be honest, the last English class I took was in high school so I may be a bit rusty at first.  I have always enjoyed writing so I look forward to what this class will bring.
My mule deer that I got this fall in the Badlands.
This is a photo of my siblings and myself on our family farm.

Comments